Wednesday, September 16, 2009

-La Visita- Dia De Los Muertos Art Gallery Show


Whoo! New art!


I thought about uploading this Nov. 2nd but I'd probably forget about it. My piece for the up and coming The Autumn Society, "Day of the Dead" Gallery Show, it takes place in Philadelphia.




And for those of you who don't know Dia De Los Muertos (or All Souls' Day) is a Mexican holiday on Nov. 2nd where families get together and celebrate their deceased loved ones using sugar skulls (calaveras) marigolds and foods and drinks that the dearly departed favored. They visit the graves of their family members and might even catch a glimpse of their spirits.

I had this idea since last year and I really wanted to follow up to it for this gallery show. Coming up with a good layout was by far the hardest for this piece but I'm pleased with it.

Papi is coming to visit his nina and join the celebration of the holiday. I really wanted to show off the true meaning of the holiday with this.

PROGRESS WORK:
This was the final sketch, I had to redraw this image 3 times before i liked it.


And me starting the basic inks for the image.




Be sure to check out all the amazing works at autumn society's blog and be sure to attend the gallery at

Proximity Gallery
2434 East Dauphin Street
Philadelphia, PA 19125

On October 2nd starting at 6 pm and ending at 9pm.


Over 40 original pieces to see.

Yup.

More to come shortly, I have a ton of commissions and sketches to post!
I gotta go for now, the gliders keep barking for attention. I ignored them all night to draw *SHAME* They peed in their barrel of monkey's barrel as revenge.

Much love!
*WHOOSH*

~Tara

0 comments: