Monday, May 31, 2010

Edward Scissorhands-90s Gallery Show Piece



Its that time again.
Another awesome gallery show ran by the peeps over at The Autumn Society have another one cooking. This time, for the tubular 90's. Oh, my childhood, there was so many things to pick from. SO MANY. It was very hard to decide, I did want to do Ren and Stimpy or a bunch of other fun cartoon shows I grew up with or even toys I'd want to take a stab at but seeing the entries thus far made me want to choose something no one else would suspect.

I picked Edward. :P Huh, two Tim Burton posts in a row? How peculiar.

Edward was made smack dab in the beginning of the 90's. It is perhaps one of my all time favorite movies and one of my favorites from Tim Burtons creations. *Tying with Beetlejuice and Nightmare* Its a movie I can watch multiple times but never get tired of. Its always good no matter how many viewings. Its a really nice "out there" fantasy but still a little close to home to make it feel "real". I think this is the only movie to make me teary eyed. <.< I'm not one to cry during movies anyway. This was back when Johnny was a fresh new actor (and before he was Tim Burton's love partner in all his films) and before Ryder's whole clepto incident. Its a very innocent and original movie. It still has its dark tones Burton usually puts in his films but it feels a little distant from his usual stuff. Which I like.


PROGRESS WORK:




Here's my traditional sketch with some ink drawn over it in PS. You can see (sorta) that I was originally going to put Vincents Price's character at the top of the cookie factory cutters but after coloring and adjusting everything, he just didn't fit with the image. It became too cluttered. Which is a shame since I LOVE Vincent Price (fun fact: This was his last role before passing away.) but I'll be sure to post his bust once I finish coloring him. I wish I had more time in general to work on this tribute but I've been swamped. X_X Excuse this piece for being a bit more on the simplistic side.


Here's some music to go with this post:


This whole soundtrack just makes the little girl inside me melt. The Ice Dance scene does the same. I can gush and mush all over this like no other and thats not usually how I act towards love stories. This movie does strange things to me, I guess. I just adore this score and it brings me fond memories of my high school Art class.

This piece is up for sale if anyone is interested.

Be sure to go check out the rest of the entries over at The Autumn Society's Blog and if your in the area be sure to stop by! I'm sure it will be a fun gallery! Again, I wish I could attend. I'm sure I'll post the footage coverage once thats available after opening night.



INFO:
Opening night-June 4th
Time-6-8 PM
Place-Brave New Worlds
45 N 2n Street
Old City
Philadelphia

"Before he came here it never snowed and now, it did." siiiigh, yeah. I'll shut up now.

~Tara

6 comments:

Adam Rosette said...

Even though i just joined I'm already loving being a part of the Autumn Society because it's introducing me to other artists like you. Great stuff on your blog!

Nico said...

Burton's best film, in my opinion, and drawn very wonderfully as usual by you, Tara! Excellent job!!! <3<3<3

S.L. said...

I was so sad about a year ago that I didn't have $18,000 when I saw Michael Jackson was auctioning the original pair of Scissorhands gloves (the auction took place several months before he passed away). Wonder who got them??? (And why did Michael Jackson have them in the first place, weird)

Also if you are into Vincent Price, check out The Abominable Dr. Phibes movies! They are hilarious!!

Raven M. Molisee: said...

Huh.. I should visit here more often. Man, as always, I freaking love your textures. Great rendition of the characters in this too.

Mukpuddy said...

Amazing work yet again Tara!!

Camille Rose Poitevin said...

beautiful!!!