Friday, May 28, 2010

Tea Time In Wonderland




This is for a contest going on over at DeviantART, its a contest promoting the DVD release of "Tim Burton's Alice and Wonderland". The contest is called "Picture yourself in Wonderland", you must depict yourself as one of the iconic characters from Tim Burton's version of Alice In Wonderland and everything else will be judged based on that theme, originality and technical skills.

I just adore all adaptions to this story and I'd watch the Disney version non-stop as a kid. *I'll be sure to make a tribute to that version in the future*

So I Alice-ized myself as well, of course Alice. I've always had a connection with this character, shes a day dreamer, innocent, imaginative and bores of reality from time to time yet shes witty, a little distant from her peers but always knows what she wants. Plus, I can think of 5 impossible things every morning. C: Shes just such a fun character in a bunch of different ways you look at her, an explorer, a mental case living in her own mind or a day dreamer, shes still totally likable.

This image took me 3 days to do on and off. One of the longest pieces I've ever done. With over 100 layers of detail. I really wanted to go overboard with this.

I chose the classic tea party scene as its nostalgic and fun all its own. Who didn't dream about participating in a un-birthday tea party? This is just pure imagination and I had fun working on this. I tried to add as many trinkets and fun items from the movie, the scroll, the vile, playing cards to represent the red queen, the key to the door, the sword, and tons more. Can you find them all?

I really enjoyed creating this digital painting and being able to join the fun of these unique and well known characters. I felt like a child again working on this.
This is the first time entering a DeviantART contest and I put a lot of effort into this so if you all would be so kind as to comment, fav and view the image at my DeviantART Id truly appreciate the support!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CLOSE-UPS

Here's a few close-ups from the image:













~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PROGRESS SHOTS:



Here is the traditional sketch this image is based on, as you can see I just draw out random shapes to use as a guideline and once scanned in photoshop draw in the additional shapes and spaces needed. My sketches are very loose as I add all the detail once inking and coloring.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm so glad I could take part in such a fun contest and just before the deadline too. *Phew* Thanks for looking and wish me luck!

PS: Here's a video I listened to a lot while drawing this:



~Tara